Proverbs, Chapter 23, verse 7...

Originally authored in 2009

I just deleted the original intent for this article, because my perspective has changed for the direction of this article. I want to address my African American men.

The first topic that I will like to address is that of Colin Kapernick's silent protest, and why did it take so long for our community as a whole to embrace the courage of this man. It totally annoys me to no end when someone stands for something that is right, and the greater majority, selfishly picks it apart as to say that "I kinda agree" but it's just not my cross to bear. That cross for Kapernick is that of a man who was just as tired as any other human, primarily a person of color, who had to read about the extreme cases of racial injustice in America. I refuse to rehash every instance of racial injustice that has happened in the past two years, because that would mean that I am writing to another reader who is living under a rock.

I just can't understand why we (African Americans) are enraged about a system that has never welcomed us with open arms, and never will, but then offered an opportunity to unite against injustice and we argue about "why I'm not protesting". It baffles me at the level of wealth that certain individuals hold, and they do absolutely nothing for the people who put them there in the first place for fear of losing money when you're already worth $20+ million.  As a millennial, I am tired of hearing about my generation having to stand up only to be knocked down and criticized by our own people, especially people of older generations who at one point sought absolution from the community for crimes that may have been guilt of.

I was never a fan of Ray Lewis to begin with, however he spoke with so much conviction about how wrong Kapernick was only to make himself look like a complete fool by kneeling in solidarity after Kapernick was called a son-of a bitch by the President of the United States. Ray Lewis, it's not that easy to just "flip sides" and think people will forget that you were scared when faced with a decision of character. That's the thing about football, the perception of the physicality of the sport that gets me so wound up, as people consider it a "tough" sport, but some of the men are empty vessels and weak-minded.

I can say with all of my soul that I would not wish coming out to anyone, because you are forced to live with a label that people will always classify you with. However, I am proud that I stood for it, because it also says that I don't carry a level of shame when it comes to who I am as a person mind, body and soul. I believe that as African American men we have to do a better job in standing in our truths, and let the chips fall where they may. I say this as a man who went to a HBCU, who's currently working in corporate America, who's gay and a lover of his people. Criticism of something good because you are too scared to do it yourself is a deep-seeded weakness that needs to stop now. A king doesn't have a look, he has an aura that can not be shaken and he is always about his principles. I understand that everyone is not meant to be a king, however shut the fuck up if you aren't about leading by example. I've worked in community initiatives, and seen the result of the fearful Black man and it just pisses me off. We can not continue to give up on ourselves due to our fear of losing "things" that we don't own to begin with.

At this point I will continue to view myself as a king, and uplift those around me in my community. The biggest part of this fight is fear and shame, and until we (Black Men) kick this door down then we can never really have our seat at the table.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The White Glove Test...

Chris's Inferno

Case Closed